Sunflower Seed Recall Extended
Maryland Trockenfrucht Vertriebs GmbH is recalling several articles with sunflower seeds that were offered by Real and Rewe. Salmonella was found in controls. It cannot be ruled out that there are harmful germs in other articles. At first only Real was affected by the recall. Now REWE is also calling back the sunflower seeds nationwide. Consumption is strongly discouraged.
Real is a real quality sunflower seed. The affected products were offered in the 500 gram and 1000 gram packs and have a best-before date of May 2020. At Rewe, the sunflower seeds were offered under the name "Maryland Sunflower Seeds". The package size and the best-before date of the affected items are identical to those of Real.
Salmonella was discovered during routine checks
"Salmonella was detected in the routine inspection of a single bag," wrote the manufacturer Maryland in a customer information from Rewe. For this reason, health impairments due to consumption cannot be excluded. The affected goods will be taken out of the sale immediately. Anyone who has already bought the affected products can return them to the market. The purchase price will be refunded.
How do you recognize a Salmonella infection?
The Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety also warns on its portal "lebensmittelwarnung.de" before consuming the products. Salmonella are disease-causing bacteria. They can cause sudden diarrhea, headache, abdominal pain, fever, general malaise, nausea and vomiting. The symptoms can persist for several days. The first symptoms appear six to 72 hours after consumption.
How dangerous are salmonella?
As reported by the Federal Center for Health Education, in rare cases a Salmonella infection can lead to serious illnesses. Complications such as blood poisoning (sepsis) and a very high fever can occur. In the worst case, life-threatening circulatory collapse or kidney failure can occur. In very rare cases, salmonella poisoning is fatal. Infants, toddlers, seniors and people with weakened immune systems are particularly at risk. (vb)
(Photo 1: ExQuisine / fotolia.com)