Worldwide dog food recall - first dog deaths due to vitamin poisoning

Recall: dog food with harmful contents in circulation

A US manufacturer calls dog food from the shelves worldwide. According to the company, the manufacturing process probably resulted in “a life-threatening addition of vitamin D”. In addition, the first deaths of dogs that have already eaten this food have been reported. Therefore, customers are advised under no circumstances to continue to give the animal feed to the dogs and to hand them over to the store instead. The purchase price will be refunded.

Various dog food varieties from the American manufacturer "Hill’s Pet Nutrition" are affected, which are also sold in Germany in retail stores, veterinary practices and on the Internet. Due to a supplier error, excessive amounts of vitamin D have entered the feed. In dogs, this can cause vomiting, loss of appetite, intense thirst, increased urination, weight loss and kidney dysfunction, which in some cases has already resulted in the animal's death.

DOG OWNERS: If you feed your pup Hill's, PLEASE check this recall notice carefully.

My beloved girl died after eating this affected prescription food & exhibiting all the symptoms of vit D poisoning.

Please share & make sure your companions are safe:

- Caitlin Gibson (@CaitJGibson) February 4, 2019

Which types of dog food are affected

As the manufacturer announced in a public announcement, the following products are affected:

  • Hill’s Prescription Diet Canine 360 ​​grams, item no. 8408U, batch no. 102020T18
  • Hill’s Prescription Diet Canine Ultra Allergen-Free 370 grams, item no. 8018U, batch no. 102020T17
  • Hill’s Prescription Diet Canine 370 grams, item no. 8017U, batch number 102020T05
  • Hill’s Science Plan Canine Adult with Chicken 370 grams, item no. 8037U, batch no. 102020T27
  • Hill’s Science Plan Canine Mature Adult 7+ with Chicken 370 grams, item no. 8055U, batch no. 102020T14

The feed should no longer be used

"Pet owners who bought the product with the specified batch numbers should stop feeding and dispose of these products immediately," warns the manufacturer. If the dog shows signs of illness after consumption, a veterinarian should be consulted. According to the manufacturer, a complete recovery is expected in most cases as soon as the animal changes to another feed. The feed is replaced via the website or the hotline of the manufacturer "Hill’s Pet Nutrition".

First deaths reported

The first deaths of dogs that were fed the animal feed have already been reported on the Internet. The dog of the American reporter Caitlin Gibson of the Washington Post newspaper was also killed in this way. "My beloved girl died after eating this affected animal feed and showed all the symptoms of vitamin D poisoning," Gibson wrote in a Twitter message. She wants to save other dog owners from this fate. (vb)

Author and source information

Video: 8 brands of dog food recalled (January 2022).