News

Dog food recall: Danger to life for your dog - producer recalls several animal feed products


Recall: dog food with harmful contents in circulation

A manufacturer with a worldwide distribution of pet food is recalling various dog food products. Apparently there was an overdose of the amount of vitamin D in the manufacturing process, which was dangerous for the senses. The first deaths of dogs consuming the feed have already been reported.

Various dog food varieties from the American manufacturer "Hill’s Pet Nutrition" are affected, which are also sold in Germany in retail stores, veterinary practices and on the Internet. Due to a supplier error, excessive amounts of vitamin D have entered the feed. This can cause vomiting, loss of appetite, intense thirst, increased urination, weight loss and renal dysfunction in the dogs, which in some cases have already resulted in the animal's death.

Which types of dog food are affected

As the manufacturer announced in a public announcement, the following products are affected:

  • Hill’s Prescription Diet Canine 360 ​​grams, item no. 8408U, batch no. 102020T18
  • Hill’s Prescription Diet Canine Ultra Allergen-Free 370 grams, item no. 8018U, batch no. 102020T17
  • Hill’s Prescription Diet Canine 370 grams, item no. 8017U, batch number 102020T05
  • Hill’s Science Plan Canine Adult with Chicken 370 grams, item no. 8037U, batch no. 102020T27
  • Hill’s Science Plan Canine Mature Adult 7+ with Chicken 370 grams, item no. 8055U, batch no. 102020T14

The feed should no longer be used

"Pet owners who bought the product with the specified batch numbers should stop feeding and dispose of these products immediately," warns the manufacturer. If the dog shows signs of illness after consumption, a veterinarian should be consulted. According to the manufacturer, a complete recovery is expected in most cases as soon as the animal changes to another feed. The feed is replaced via the website or the hotline of the manufacturer "Hill’s Pet Nutrition".

First deaths reported

The first deaths of dogs fed the animal feed have already been reported online. The dog of the American reporter Caitlin Gibson of the Washington Post newspaper was also killed in this way. "My beloved girl died after eating this affected animal feed and showed all the symptoms of vitamin D poisoning," Gibson wrote in a Twitter message. She wants to save other dog owners from this fate. (vb)

Author and source information



Video: FDA alert: List of potentially toxic dog food recalls could grow (July 2021).