Hare infected with tularemia in Bavaria: Hare fever is also transferable to humans
A case of rabbit fever (tularemia) was reported in the Ansbach district (Bavaria). The animal found dead was tested positive for the disease. Humans can also become infected with rabbit fever.
Dead rabbit tested positive for tularemia
According to media reports, there is a case of rabbit fever (tularemia) in the Ansbach district (Bavaria). The district office therefore announced that a rabbit found dead in the open field near Lichtenau was tested positive for the disease. According to the information, the infected animal was found in December and, according to a spokeswoman, was the first rabbit plague case in the district for years.
Rabbit fever can also be dangerous for people
Tularemia is a bacterial disease caused by the "Francisella tularensis" pathogen.
The infectious disease mainly affects hares and rodents.
As a zoonosis, however, it also poses a high health risk for humans, as a case from Switzerland shows, where last year a young woman became infected with rabbit plague after a bird of prey attack.
Humans are very receptive to the pathogen
"People become infected especially when they come into intensive contact with sick animals or their excretions or when dealing with carcasses, especially when skinning and gutting game," the Bavarian State Office for Health and Food Safety (LGL) wrote on its website.
If you come into contact with rabbit meat, gloves and a face mask should be used.
Hunting dogs could also be carriers of rabbit fever, as Austrian researchers reported last year.
And in the United States, the disease was transmitted by a cat a few months ago.
Infection can also occur from insufficiently heated food or contaminated water.
“Humans are very sensitive to the pathogen. Only a few germs (10 - 50 bacteria) are necessary for an infection through the mouth, nose, eyelid conjunctiva or small skin and mucosal injuries, ”says the LGL.
Illness begins with flu-like symptoms
According to the LGL, the incubation period is given as three to ten days, the duration of the disease as two to three weeks, followed by a longer convalescence.
The disease begins with non-specific, flu-like symptoms such as headache, body aches, fever, chills, and weariness.
"An ulcerative papule develops at the entry point. The regional lymph nodes swell and fester, ”writes the LGL.
“Internal organs can be involved (e.g. pneumonia). The typhoid form, which runs as septicemia, is known to be a particularly severe clinical picture. ”
Health experts say you should definitely see a doctor if you experience symptoms such as fever, headache, muscle spasms, or nausea and vomiting after contact with wild animals or after eating game meat. (ad)